CBRN DEFENCE AND ECOLOGY SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH CENTRE

On October 31, 1924, the Romanian General Staff issued its Report No. 665 to the Ministry of War. By ministerial approval, Section IV – Gases of the General Staff became the Gas Defence Service included three specialized units:

  • Research Laboratory – the first scientific research establishment in the Romanian Army
  • Central Gas Mask Workshop
  • Gas School

In time, the establishment was given various denominations:

  • Research Laboratory of the Gas Defence Service (1924 – 1934);
  • Army Studies and Experiments Laboratory (1934 – 1951);
  • Central Laboratory 508, Chemical (1951- 1959);
  • Central Laboratory 124, Chemical (1959 – 1966);
  • Scientific Research Centre for Military Chemistry (1966 – 1988);
  • Scientific Research Centre for NBC Protection Materiel (1998 – 2001);

In 1998, the Centre was integrated in the structure of the Research Agency for Military Materiel and Technologies, subordinated to the Department for Armaments and since 2010 was named CBRN DEFENCE AND ECOLOGY SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH CENTRE.